By Shelly Benisch – C.I.C., CIS EXPEDITE NOW Article
Ever wanted a cheat sheet on exactly WHAT questions you should ask a prospective Motor Carrier before making the important decision to join their team as an Independent Contractor Owner Operator?
Well here you go…and Expedite Expo July 15th and 16th in Lexington, KY is the BEST PLACE TO DO IT!
- How long have you been in the Expedited Freight business?
- Are you looking for Long Haul Expedite Truckers or Local Couriers?
- Do you require that I haul exclusively for you under your authority or is your contract non-exclusive?
- What is your turnaround time on payment for services completed?
- Can you show me the part in the contract of how and when I am paid?
- Can you show me the insurance portion in the contract of what I am responsible to provide?
- Can you show me how any charge backs like fees or deductibles for accidents work?
- Where do you get your freight? Salesmen, brokered loads, etc.
As with any worthwhile endeavor, beware of the “just sign here” Motor Carriers.
Motor Carriers are looking for solid, long term and professional relationships, you should too. Take the time to do your homework…other Owner Ops wish they had.