Illinois Commercial Truck Insurance Requirements

Commercial trucking in Illinois includes a complexity of laws and regulations that’s important to understand before you hit the road.

For Motor Carriers in Illinois, requirements begin with Federal Requirements as governed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).

Registering with FMCSA is mandatory for commercial trucks transporting freight across state lines.

Illinois-based Commercial Trucks are also required to secure a Federal DOT number.

You can get your DOT number through the FMCSA registration portal.

Both FMCSA and the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) need proof of minimum Commercial Auto Liability Insurance in order to legally haul freight for hire.

Required Proof of Insurance

After you purchase your truck insurance policy, the company sends proof of coverage directly to FMCSA with the BMC-91X Filing.

This results in the final approval of your MC, Motor Carrier operating authority.

They will also send your Form E proof of insurance to IDOT.

What is Commercial Auto Liability?

Commercial Auto Liability includes Bodily Injury and Property Damage.

Bodily Injury Liability ensures coverage for medical bills, funeral expenses, lost earnings as well as pain and suffering in case you cause an accident that injures or kills someone.

Property Damage Liability covers repair or replacement costs if you damage someone’s property.

The coverage requirements for Illinois Truckers is:

2024 Mercedes Benz Sprinter Hightop Van
2024 Mercedes Benz Sprinter Hightop Van


Physical Damage Insurance is another crucial part of a comprehensive coverage package.

Phys Dam covers damages from collisions and comprehensive incidents like theft, wind, hail and animal hits.

While FMCSA and IDOT does not require it in order to legally drive your truck, it’s important coverage for you to consider.

Who needs a DOT in Illinois?

In Illinois, all vehicles transporting property with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 10,001 lbs or more must have a USDOT number, except if you are farm plated and hauling only intrastate.

This also includes 1 ton Duallys with Trailers used for HotShot trucking when the combination of both exceeds 10,001 lbs.

Dually HotShot Truck with Gooseneck Trailer
Dually HotShot Truck with Gooseneck Trailer is over 10,001 GVW

After securing your DOT number and insurance, it’s time for your Illinois Motor Carrier Application (Form IOA-1).

Remember to complete your Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) which funds state highway motor carrier registration and safety programs.

If you have questions or need help understanding Illinois Commercial Truck Insurance requirements, just give us a call at CIS!

As experts in Commercial Truck Insurance for owner operators and small motor carriers, we’re here to help you navigate the insurance landscape.

We love to work with new startups to help you and your business succeed and grow.

©2024. Commercial Insurance Solutions. All Rights Reserved.